As the leaves fall and the air chills, our makeup routine calls for a cozy yet chic transformation.
Winter is not just about warm sweaters and hot cocoa; it’s also about adapting our makeup to suit the cooler, drier climate.
Today, I’m thrilled to share my go-to winter makeup routine, designed to combat the harshness of the season while keeping you looking fabulous.
Where I live, fall is warm still. So I basically do my spring/summer makeup routine also on the first weeks of fall, but as the weather starts to cool down, I see how my skin and makeup overall is affected.
In this article, I show you exactly what I do for my winter makeup routine, what I change in my bag, and how I achieve flawless skin in the winter season.
Why Winter Demands a Unique Makeup Approach
During winter, our skin often battles dryness and a lack of natural moisture, making it crucial to choose makeup that not only beautifies but also protects and nourishes.
Building a Winter-Proof Makeup Kit
Winter’s makeup mantra is all about hydration and rich, warm tones.
Let’s dive into what makes a makeup kit winter-ready:
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
- Hydrating Foundation: Swap your matte foundations for something more hydrating. Look for foundations that offer a creamy texture and added skincare benefits.
Also, if you want, consider avoiding foundation as much as possible.
The fewer products you use, the better for the skin in this winter season. I usually avoid foundation most days, and for special occasions, I opt for hydrating foundation like the one I mentioned above, or the sheglam hydrating foundation.
2.Rich, Vibrant Colors: Winter is the perfect time to experiment with bold colors.
Think deep reds, rich berries, and plums for lips and cheeks. They not only add a pop of color to the pale winter complexion but also bring warmth and depth to your look.
3.Cool-toned blush. TREND ALERT: This 2023/2024 winter, I see EVERYWHERE (celebrity makeup artists like Patrickta and famous people in general) doing/wearing COOL-toned blushes, especially cool pinks.
And with a special technique, that also involves adding some cool pink powder to the under eyes. Looks terrific! if you haven’t, try it! You’ll love it.
4. Cream-Based Products: Powder can accentuate dry skin. Instead, opt for cream-based blushes and eyeshadows.
Maybe we can skip cream eyeshadows if preferred, but trust me, the cream/liquid blush switch is a must! And also try changing your powder bronzer for a hydrating cream or liquid.
They blend seamlessly, providing a natural, dewy finish that’s perfect for combating winter dryness.
5. Moisturizing Lip Care: Chapped lips are a common winter problem. I swear by hydrating lip balms and richly pigmented lip butters. They keep lips moisturized while adding a touch of color. Lip oils are also a great addition to our winter makeup bag.
6. Setting Sprays with Hydration: To lock your makeup in place while giving your skin an extra hydration boost, invest in a good setting spray. Look for ones with ingredients like hyaluronic acid or glycerin.
My Winter Makeup Bag Essentials
Here’s a peek into my winter makeup bag:
- Foundation: NARS Radiant Longwear for its creamy, hydrating formula OR Sheglam Hydrating Foundation.
- Blush: A cream blush from Fenty Beauty for a natural flush of color.
- Eyes: I lean towards creamy eyeshadows with a subtle shimmer – think Stila’s Glitter & Glow.
- Lips: Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm for daytime and a bold MAC lipstick for evenings.
- Setting Spray: Urban Decay’s All-Nighter Setting Spray keeps everything in place while providing moisture.
Achieving the Perfect Winter Makeup Look
Creating a winter makeup look is all about balance – keeping the skin hydrated and adding warmth through colors.
Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Start with a Hydrating Primer: This sets a moisturized canvas for your makeup.
2.Apply a Hydrating Foundation: Blend well for a flawless, hydrated base.
3.Add a touch of color for my Cheeks: Use a cream or liquid blush for a rosy, healthy glow. Celebrity Makeup Artist, Patrickta teaches his technique, which consist on layering different textures of blushes.
He first apply a powder blush, slightly touches the under eye area above the cheeks, and then he adds the cream blush on top using the same brush.
After that, he adds loose powder to the under eyes, and with the blush brush, he blends the powder and the blush seamlessly until it looks blended and flawless.
It looks stunning. You have probably seen everywhere on social media, the pink under eye trend, and wonder how they achieve that? well.
There you have it.
Don’t be afraid to try it! It looks pretty and adds a youthful touch of color effect.
I do it all the time.
4.Bold Eye Makeup: Experiment with darker shades or a shimmer to brighten the cold days.
Winter and the holidays is the perfect season to rock a classic smokey eye. Here’s how I do my smokey eye and other eye makeup ideas for this winter.
5. Moisturizing Lip Color: Finish with a hydrating lip color in a bold hue.
I use the overlining lips technique, which I teach how to do here. And after finishing my lip liner, I either go for a nude lip gloss, or a bold cherry/burgundy lipstick.
Final tips for Winter Makeup
Winter makeup isn’t just about the products; it’s about the feeling it brings.
Embrace the season with open arms and a makeup routine that reflects the warmth and richness of winter.
Remember, as the season changes, so should your makeup.
It’s not just a ritual; it’s a celebration of each season’s unique beauty.
So, bundle up, get your makeup brushes ready, and let’s make this winter the most stylish one yet!
Stay cozy and chic, Valeria ????