Searching the shelves for the best drugstore powder foundation can be a daunting task. With so many options available, there’s sure to be something that works for any skin type, budget or preference.
That’s why I’ve taken the guesswork out of it and rounded up the 7 best drugstore powder foundations. The opinion below is endorsed for me, the editor behind real beauty school and it’s NOT sponsored for ANY of the brand mentioned.
This is only my way to rate these foundations as a makeup user and makeup artist.
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
In a rush? ✅Here’s our #1 favorite drugstore powder foundation is the CC + Airbrush Perfecting Powder Foundation. it’s a talc-free buildable formula, to wear for sheer-to-full coverage and it gives you the perfect “airbrush-like” finish.
Before starting with the list. Let’s get first things first, and let’s get clear on something…
What’s the difference between setting powder and powder foundations?
There is a difference between a powder foundation and setting powder, despite them being lumped together in some cases.
Setting powder usually has no coverage and helps set makeup in place.
Powder foundation delivers full coverage while also mattifying your skin to reduce shine and blend out lines – without needing heavy layers of product piled on top of your liquid base foundation.
Whether or not the setting powder is loose or compact.
I always recommend my people to AVOID powder foundations when they are looking to set your makeup.
This is not the function of powder foundations, and it can actually end in the exact opposite result that you want to have with your foundation makeup.
Using powder foundation WITH liquid foundation
Using powder foundation in tandem with liquid foundation can be an effective way to achieve flawless makeup looks.
BUT not in all cases. I’ll tell you when it’s appropriate to mix these two together in your makeup routine.
Can you use a powder foundation on top of a liquid foundation?
Using a powder foundation with liquid foundation is easy: simply apply your usual amount of liquid base foundation first, then lightly swipe your favorite drugstore powder all over for extra coverage.
NOT for setting your makeup. Applying powder foundation on top of your liquid foundation WILL NOT make your makeup last longer or set your makeup in any way. (unless the powder foundation product has setting ingredients, some powders are prime, add coverage and set)
Other appropriate ways you can use both your liquid foundation and your powder foundation are:
✅To add extra coverage.
If you are wearing a sheer foundation, you can build up your coverage with your powder foundation. I highly recommend using a powder foundation with the same finish as your liquid. for example, both matte or satin.
✅Make your dewy/satin foundation matte
If you have a dewy/satin liquid foundation that you want to turn into a beautiful matte foundation, apply a lightweight layer of matte powder foundation on top of your liquid foundation.
✅Perfect for touch-ups!
Alternatively, you can use both products separately by applying just enough powder over your existing base makeup for touch-ups throughout the day.
✅Smooth velvety finish
The smooth matte finish gives you an airbrushed look without looking overly done up as well as more comfortable wear throughout the day than traditional cream foundations offer.
The pros to using a combination of liquid foundations and powders are plentiful; you get long-wearing coverage that doesn’t require too much blending or effort to achieve flawless results.
However, depending on how sensitive your skin is, you may find that using too many of these products causes dryness or irritation – so make sure to keep any additional layers light and choose the right formula suited for your skin type!
With all this in mind, here are 16 of the best drugstore powder foundations that provide excellent coverage without breaking the bank – plus their pros and cons based on my personal experiences.
1. IT cosmetics CC+ Airbrush Perfecting Powder Foundation
The IT Cosmetics CC + Airbrush perfecting Powder Foundation, you can get the coverage and finish you want!
It features a hydrating, talc-free formula that won’t settle into lines or pores, plus it’s infused with hydrolyzed collagen, hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, and peptides to help nourish your skin.
- Talc-free formula
- infused with hyaloronic acid, niacinamide, peptides and more skin-loving ingredients! (love that)
- Hydrating powder. Wait what? Yes, just like you read it. It won’t dry out your skin.
- Perfect buildable coverage from sheer to full coverage depending on how many thin layers you use
- This is not exactly the cheapest powder foundation, and it’s more on the pricey side. Totally worth it, though. Its also not a luxury powder foundation, that’s why this is included in this post.
2.Revlon ColorStay Powder Foundation
This oil-free powder formula is ultra-soft, making it easy to blend and build up coverage for a matte finish.
- lightweight and provides medium to full coverage with a natural finish that lasts all day.
- can make skin appear dry or cakey if used incorrectly. I have a guide on how to avoid cakey/dry looking with powder foundation here.
3.Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless Powder
A fan favorite and one of my personal favorites, this powder foundation leave your makeup for hours without appearing cakey or heavy on the face. It’s actually a really lightweight formula. So nice to try.
- lightweight and easy to apply with sheer to medium coverage that blends well.
- Supper affordable! check the price here.
- can be tricky to find the right shade match due to limited color range. However, I have been able to find my shade and I think they have been adding more shades over the years. It’s a classic good one.
4.L’oreal True Match super blendable powder
Ideal for those with oily skin, this formula disperses excess oil while providing light coverage with a hint of color.
- offers long-lasting wear with natural results that won’t clog pores and cause breakouts, plus it comes in 12 shades!
- may not provide enough coverage for those needing more coverage in certain areas.
5. Covergirl Clean Pressed Powder
This light-weight formula instantly reduces the appearance of pores, leaving skin feeling soft and smooth.
- The shine-controlling powder is non-comedogenic and won’t clog pores, so you can be sure your skin will look fresh and clean all day long.
- Perfect for oily and acne-prone skin.
- its lightweight formula helps to conceal imperfections while giving you an effortless finish.
- it can settle in creases if not properly applied.
6.elf camo Powder Foundation
Get ready to perfect your complexion with ELF’s Camo Powder Foundation!
This long-wear formula offers medium-to-full coverage, resulting in an airbrushed and even finish.
It works great on all skin types and helps control oiliness – plus it’s non-comedogenic and cruelty free!
- without: phalates, parabens
- natural semi-matte finish
- medium to full coverage (the camo concealer and their camo foundation are also GREAT inexpensive products with AMAZING coverage!)
7.Neutrogena SkinClearing Oil-Free Foundation Powder
Packed with dermatologist-recommended salicylic acid, this powder foundation helps treat and prevent acne breakouts while providing sheer to medium coverage.
- Packed with ingredients that are dermatology tested to prevent acne
- shine-free and oil-absorbing formula
- suitable for all skin types and doesn’t dry out the skin
packaging makes it difficult to control how much product is used at once and you can apply to much. This does not apply if you use the right tools like a powder foundation brush.
Conclusion on the best drugstore powder foundation
Our #1 favorite drugstore powder foundation is the CC + Airbrush Perfecting Powder Foundation. it’s a talc-free buildable formula, to wear for sheer-to-full coverage and it gives you the perfect “airbrush-like” finish.
Not so common in a powder foundation! You can also check how to properly apply powder foundation here, to avoid the powdery, dry looking.
Ultimately when it comes down to choosing the perfect powder foundation for you,
it’s important to remember that it should work with your existing skincare routine in order to look natural yet still provide full coverage at the same time.
Whether you’re looking to get extra coverage with your liquid foundation or quick touch-ups on busy mornings, these drugstore picks are worth trying out if you’re after quality results!
More posts about makeup you might like:
- How to apply powder foundation without looking dry or cakey!
- Powder vs liquid foundation: What you need to know
- Best Anti-aging face powders for Mature skins!
- The Best Drugstore Non-comedogenic Foundations
- Best Foundation for Acne Prone Skin!