Lip gloss is the perfect way to tie an entire look together. With it, you can add a pop of color, a hint of shine, or a subtle shade to draw attention to the rest of your makeup. But, finding the best lip gloss is not an easy task.
With eating, drinking, and maybe a little smooching that we do on a daily basis, it can be difficult to find a lip gloss that actually stays on your lips, and not on everything else that you bring to your mouth that day.
Today I am highlighting my 10 favorite drugstore lip glosses, lip gloss plumpers, and a few of the pros and cons of each of them!
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Best Drugstore Lip Glosses
As we start on the hunt for the best affordable lip products, check out a few of my favorite lip glosses below!
1. NYX Butter Gloss
Price Range: $5 on ULTA
- A LOT of Shades: If you are looking for a wide variety of shades, this is the lip gloss for you! The NYX Butter Gloss comes in a massive 31 shades to choose from!
- There is everything from a subtle pink, to a deep wine, to even a bright blue! You will definitely find yourself putting multiple shades of this lip gloss in your bag.
- Non-Sticky: One of my biggest pet peeves with lip gloss is how sticky they can be. Luckily, the NYX Butter Gloss looks glossy but does not leave your lips feeling sticky.
- Long-Lasting: Customers love that this lip gloss lasts all day long without fading or bleeding into lines!
- Light Coverage: Some lip glosses can be worn on their own, but if you are looking for a bold lip, this gloss will not be dark enough. It goes on light so that you can wear it over lipstick, but if you want a more muted color, this sheer to medium gloss is perfect.
- Little Product: Another con of this lip gloss is that it does not hold a lot of product (just 0.27 oz) so you may find yourself having to replace this gloss often.
2. NYX This is Milky Gloss
Price: $8.5 at ULTA
- GREAT for Pastel Lovers: While this gloss does not come in as many shades, it is tailored perfectly for those that like a pastel palette. The soft pink, purple, and blue shades are especially gorgeous.
- Amazing Smell: Who wouldn’t want an amazing scent on their lips all day? Every shade of the NYX Milky Gloss is made with a sweet vanilla milkshake scent, and you will feel like you are walking around with a plate of sugar cookies under your nose all day when you wear this gloss!
- Buildable: Unlike the NYX lip gloss above, the Milky Gloss provides a bit of a bolder color because it is a buildable formula.
- You can layer this gloss to make your lips stand out, or do just one swipe and give your lips a subtle shine.
- Frequent Application: A con is that this lip gloss is not long-lasting. You might find yourself reapplying often to maintain that gorgeous color.
3. Morphe Lip Gloss
Price Range: $10 at ULTA
- Various Finishes: Morphe offers both sheer shimmers and full-on creams, for all of your lip gloss needs! It works great as a lip topper and on its own.
- Non-Sticky: Morphe’s Lip Gloss is made with a non-sticky formula, so it glides on your lips easily and evenly.
- Butter Formula: This lip gloss is also extremely hydrating with its soft, butter formula, so your lips won’t feel dry or cracked after use.
- Lightly-Pigmented: Like the NYX Butter Gloss, this lip gloss is also lightly-pigmented, so it is not the best fit for bold-lip lovers.
- Not True to Color: Another con of this lip gloss is that some of the colors do not match up with the colors shown online. But all of the shades are beautiful!
4. Juvia’s Place Bronzed Lip Gloss
Price: $13 at ULTA
- Nude Lips for Days: If you are looking for the best nude lip gloss, Juvia’s Place has you covered! It comes in two shades and both are perfect if you are looking for a classic nude lip.
- Perfect Standalone Product: While some lip glosses have to be worn with a lipstick to really shine, this lip gloss can be worn without any other lip products required! It is pigmented enough to use it on its own and still has noticeable nude lips.
- Glossy Perfection: This lip gloss puts the emphasis in gloss! Your lips will look glossy without the stickiness that comes with some glosses. Plus, it will leave your lips feeling silky smooth.
- Lack of Versatile Shades: Some customers with lighter skin felt like this lip gloss was a little too bright, or didn’t quite pair up with their skin tone, but this is a perfect fit for those with darker skin.
- Thick: While this gloss is highly-pigmented, some customers felt like the gloss was a little too heavy on their lips, so use sparingly!
5. Makeup Revolution Shimmer Bomb Lip Gloss
Price: $7 at ULTA
- A Literal Shimmer Bomb: Makeup Revolution titled this lip gloss appropriately, because it is bringing the heat, or more accurately, the shimmer.
- Each of these shades is filled with more shimmer than you will know what to do with. If you are hoping for lips that sparkle like a disco ball, you better add this gloss to your cart stat!
- Clear Option: The Shimmer Bomb also has a clear shade, so you can use it to add a bit of sparkle to any lip product.
- Fuller Lips: While this gloss is not exclusively made to plump your lips, it does reflect the light to give your lips the appearance of looking fuller.
- Re-apply: While I love this shimmery gloss, one downside is that you may have to reapply a couple of times to keep your shimmer consistent.
- Thick: Similar to the Juvia’s Place lip gloss, the Shimmer Bomb does go on a little thick, so make sure not to use too much product when applying this gloss.
6. Neutrogena MoistureShine Lip Soother Gloss
Price: Check the best offer here
- Healing: If your lips are cracked or dry, this lip gloss is focused on restoring your lips to their full glory. Not only is it formulated with SPF 20, but it is made with soothing chamomile, glycerin, and cucumber, which provide intense hydration.
- Great Smell: This lip gloss is also infused with mint, which not only smells great, but it will leave your lips with a magical cooling sensation.
- Gloss without Shine: Some lip glosses on this list are all about the shine, but this lip gloss is more subtle. Instead of a shine, Neutrogena’s gloss leaves a gorgeous gloss on your lips, and pairs well with any lip product.
- Lack of Tint: While this lip gloss does look glossy, it does not have very much of a tint. Many customers felt that its claim to be tinted should be revoked, as it goes on practically clear.
- Too Oily: A few customers felt like this lip gloss was too oily on their lips, so if you struggle with oily skin, I would not recommend this lip gloss.
7. elf Cosmetics Jelly Pop Juicy Gloss
Price: $5 at ULTA / Check Price on Amazon
- The Perfect Gift: One of the reasons why I love this gloss is because it is the perfect gift for any makeup lover in your life. It is cheap, but it is still high-quality. Best of all, the shimmer and tint are a fun way to add a pop of color!
- Great Ingredients: This lip gloss is also packed full of awesome ingredients for your lips. It is made with hyaluronic acid and avocado oil, which are both moisturizing. Plus it has coconut and castor oil, which are both soothing for your lips!
- Artificial Scent: While elf boasts a delicious watermelon scent for this gloss, some customers felt like it smelled artificial and cheap.
- Sticky: This gloss also falls prey to the common lip gloss problem: stickiness. While some customers felt like this gloss went on smoothly, others felt like it was too sticky and transferred easily.
Best Drugstore Lip Plumpers
If you are one of the many smaller-lipped ladies out there, you may be looking for a lip gloss that does a little extra work. Below are a few of my favorite lip plumpers!
8. Maybelline Lip Lifter Gloss
Price: $8.99 at ULTA
- Scientifically Plumping: Instead of lip injections, one of the easiest ways to plump your lips is through the top-secret miracle worker called hyaluronic acid.
- This ingredient fills every skin cell with moisture, which gives off the appearance of fuller lips. Lucky for us, this is a key ingredient of Maybelline’s Lip Lifter!
- Hydrating: Along the same lines, customers love that this product is extremely hydrating. 90% of customers said that their lips felt more hydrated after using this product.
- Smooth Texture: Another great feature of this lip gloss is that it has a smooth texture. It goes on your lips without skipping or smearing, and it feels soft as you go throughout your day!
- Lack of Diverse Shades: While the Lip Lifter does come in 15 shades, these shades are not complementary to all skin tones. According to some customers, the colors are much more difficult to see on darker-skinned women.
- Smell: One of the biggest cons of this lip gloss is the smell. Some have described it as artificial, while others say that it smells too much like chemicals. Either way, if the smell is a driving factor in your lip gloss selection, I suggest you keep on reading.
9. Milani Keep It Full Nourishing Lip Plumper
Price: $9.99 at ULTA
- Cooling and Hydrating Ingredients: Milani’s Keep it Full Lip Plumper uses mint to leave your lips feeling cool and nourished. It also includes hyaluronic acid to naturally plump your lips and vanilla to leave your lips smelling sweet.
- Paraben-Free: This lip plumper is also free of parabens, sulfates, and phthalates, so it is great for sensitive skin.
- Subtle Shades: While many lip glosses have sparkles or shimmer properties, Milani’s has several shades that look more natural and subtle on your lips.
- Lots of Product: One last positive about this product is that the tube is big! There is plenty of product for us lip lovers!
- Lacks in Plumping: While this gloss will give you a subtle plump, some customers complained that it did not plump their lips as much as they would have preferred. If you are looking for a strong plumper, keep reading!
- Wears off Easily: Unfortunately, this product might wear off after excessive contact (eating or drinking) so if you have a busy day, you will definitely have to pack this lip gloss to touch up your look throughout the day.
10. L’Oreal Infallible Pro Pump Lip Gloss
Price: $9.99 at ULTA
- Unique Applicator: This applicator is unlike any that I have seen come with a lip gloss, but it is perfect for achieving a full lip.
- The applicator is designed to make contouring and sculpting a breeze, so whether you are a contouring newbie or an expert, this applicator might just be your new best friend.
- Lightweight Formula: The Pro Pump Lip Gloss is also formulated with hyaluronic acid, so it will leave your lips feeling smooth and hydrated while naturally plumping your lips.
- Stays in Place: This lip gloss dries in place to prevent that sticky feel. It is also transfer-resistant, so no more worrying about your gloss ending up everywhere but your lips.
- Loss of Gloss: While this lip gloss dries in place, some customers felt like it lost its glossy look after it dried, and instead left a satin finish.
- Lack of Versatile Shades: Even though this lip gloss comes in 12 different shades, many of them rest on the pink spectrum. Unfortunately, you will not find any bold reds for this gloss.
Conclusion on the Best Drugstore Lip gloss
My #1 best recommendation for drugstore lip glosses is this one here by Makeup revolution, I really love the formula and the shimmery finish!
Even though lip gloss got a bad rap after the 2000s, there are so many great and affordable lip glosses that add a gorgeous shine or shimmer to your lips!
I hope you found the perfect gloss or lip plumper for yourself, and maybe even a few to give to friends!
Related Makeup Posts:
- The Best Drugstore Non-comedogenic Foundations that Won’t clog pores!
- The Irresistible Drugstore Nude Lipsticks for all skin tones!
- The Best Lip and Check Tints for a Beautiful Monochromatic Look!
- Best Ways to organize your Makeup for Every space!