Best matte eyeshadow palette for mature eyes (Guide + reviews)
If your aging skin has discouraged you from wearing makeup, you are not alone! There are so many women who stop doing their favorite makeup routines because of stereotypes regarding age or lack of confidence. As you get older and your skin changes, many women feel like they shouldn’t wear the same makeup that they used to. This is a lie!
Just because you are older does not mean you should stop wearing makeup! In fact, you should wear whatever makeup makes you feel beautiful. But as your eyes mature, there are some makeup brands and palettes that are better designed for maturing eyes than others.
Today I am sharing with you some of my favorite matte eyeshadow palettes for mature eyes. I am also going to tell you why matte eyeshadow is a fan favorite for mature eyes, and what colors pair best with your mature eyes. So let’s dive in and talk about the new products that you will want to add to your cart immediately!
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Best Matte Eyeshadow Palette for Older Eyes Overall
Before we talk about why matte eyeshadow is better for mature eyes, I want to share with you my absolute favorite eyeshadow palette for mature eyes. The Too Faced Natural Matte Palette has gorgeous colors that will make your eyes pop. You can find it for a very reasonable price.
Here are a few reasons why this is my favorite palette.
Why the Too Faced Palette is my #1
- Style Guide: One amazing perk of this palette is that it comes with a style guide and three different styles for your eyes. The palette itself is organized to showcase the three looks you can create. The style guide shows you the step-by-step process to create each look and they are all gorgeous!
- Subtle or Bold: Another quality of this palette is that it has the ability to do both subtle and natural eyes, or bold and daring eyes, depending on your own personal style. Even though it is a neutral palette, there are so many different ways that you can style your eyes with these nine colors. The options are endless!
- Airbrushed Look: As your eyes mature, the one thing that you do not want to do is accentuate the wrinkles around your eyes. This palette has an airbrushed finish and will leave you looking in the mirror searching for your wrinkles. Many customers love that their eye wrinkles seem to vanish when they wear this palette.
- Award-Winning: Not only do customers love this palette, but it has also won an award for the best matte palette!
- Long-Lasting: Another quality that customers love about this palette is that it is long-lasting. Customers love that it lasts all day without smudging, fading, or creasing.
Is matte eyeshadow better for mature eyes?
So why is a matte eyeshadow my favorite option for mature eyes? It isn’t just because I love a good matte eyeshadow. In fact, many skin professionals agree that matte eyeshadow is the best option for mature eyes. Shimmery or metallic eyeshadow can actually accentuate wrinkles and make your face look much older than it is. Just like the palette above, a lot of matte eyeshadows do the opposite and create an airbrushed look to smooth out your wrinkles and make your face look younger.
It’s not that mature or wrinkled eyes can use a shimmery shadow or glitter at all. It’s just that there are some tips and tricks to use shimmer in your eye makeup the right way so they look more fresh and younger.
Eyeshadow Tips for Mature Eyes
Wearing matte eyeshadow isn’t the only tip for mature eyes. Here are a few things that you can do to make your eyes look even younger.
If you have never heard of eyelid primer before, it is a must-have item for mature eyes. Primer will allow for the color to stay on your lids and reduce the chance of creases. My favorite eyeshadow primer for mature eyes is this one by Urban decay.
Use a beige eyeliner
Another trick to bring attention to your eyes and make them look brighter is by using a nude liner. Specifically, if you use a nude eyeliner along the waterline of your lower eyelid, it will make your eyes look brighter and reduce redness. I love to do this eye makeup hack with my beautiful mature clients because it brings brightness to the eye makeup look and just looks beautiful and fresh. I recommend this beige liner here.
Get Rid of Crow’s Feet
One more tip for older eyes is to use a hydrating primer to erase crow’s feet. A hydrating primer like this primer oil here, combine with a lighter concealer shade will blur fine lines on the eyes area.
The more hydrated your skin is, the less noticeable will be the wrinkles. And this applies to the eyes as well.
Best Eyeshadow Palette for Mature Hooded Eyes
One thing that can happen to mature eyes is excess skin that folds from the brow bone to the lash line, also known as hooded eyes. It is completely natural, and there are some eyeshadow palettes that are specifically designed with hooded eyes in mind.
Here are two of my favorites.
The Lamora Beauty Best Pro palette
The Lamora Beauty Best Pro palette has 16 vibrant colors and it has a super affordable price! I love this palette for a few reasons.
- Highly Pigmented: Just by looking at this palette, you can see how vibrant and beautiful it is, but I really love it because each shade is highly pigmented. This means that each color will be bright and bold even with a small amount of product used.
- Vegan and Cruelty-Free: Not only are no animals harmed in the making of this makeup, but Lamora puts a lot of weight into creating makeup with natural and vegan ingredients. This makeup is free of nasty chemicals and even has ingredients that hydrate your skin.
- Long-Lasting and Lifts Eyes: Customers love this palette because it lasts all day long, but it is also perfect for hooded eyes because the bright colors work to make the eyes appear more lifted and wide.
- Smooth and Blendable: Another great perk to this palette is how smooth the application is. Unlike some eyeshadows that go on chunky, this palette feels smooth on your lids. It is also very blendable, so if you want to experiment with different colors or eyeshadow looks, this palette is a great option.
Coastal Scents Revealed Matte Eyeshadow Palette
Another great eyeshadow palette for hooded eyes is the Coastal Scents palette. This palette has 20 shades that contain warm and neutral tones. Here are a few reasons why this palette is great:
- Urban Decay Dupe: So many customers bought this palette because it is a great dupe to the more expensive Urban Decay palette. Luckily, this palette is cheaper, but it still has the Urban Decay quality!
- Bold Colors: One of the reasons this palette is a perfect fit for hooded eyes is because it has dark shades to define your crease. By defining your crease, your eyes will look bigger and it will reduce the hooded eyes look. Another tip is to apply this eyeshadow just above where you are marking your crease to add further definition to your lids.
- Doesn’t Crease: Another struggle with hooded eyes is that sometimes eyeshadow will fall into the crease of your eyes, and accentuate your hood even further. But this palette stays in place and does not crease.
- Perfect Smokey Eye: Customers love this palette because it creates an amazing smokey eye. This palette blends easily, and it is buildable, so you can create a rich smokey eye with these shades.
Related Hooded Eyes post: The Definitive Guide to Apply Eyeshadow for Hooded Eyes / Droppy eyelids (Pro tips + full tutorial)
Best eyeshadow palette for wrinkled eyelids
You might not have hooded eyes, but one problem you might run into with your mature eyes is wrinkled eyelids. This is another common quality to mature eyes, which means there are a plethora of palettes designed to reduce your wrinkles and make your eyes look brighter and younger. Here are my two favorites for wrinkled eyelids!
Everfavor Pro Eyeshadow Palette
The Everfavor eyeshadow palette comes with a massive 35 matte shades and retails for an incredibly low price.
Here are a few reasons why I love this palette:
- Variety of Colors: With 35 shades to choose from, you will not be short of new combinations and eyeshadow looks.
- Doesn’t Crease: One of the most important qualities in a palette for women with wrinkled eyelids is to find eyeshadows that don’t crease. Luckily, this palette delivers. I love that their shadow stays on smooth all day without any creases or smearing.
- Waterproof and Durable: Another awesome perk of this palette is that every shade is waterproof. Not only is it waterproof, but I love that every shade lasts all day long, and it looks just as vibrant hours after application.
- Lightweight: This palette is also lightweight and buildable, which means you can create a variety of looks without your makeup feeling heavy or caked-on.
WAIT! Do you want to level up your Makeup Skills? Grab The Ultimate Professional Makeup Bundle and learn the Makeup basics, with pro tips, cheatsheets, face charts, SECRET professional makeup techniques & more!
Color Studio Matte and Shimmer Eye Shadow Palette
The Color Studio palette comes in 35 matte and shimmer shades. Not only is it the least expensive palette on the list, but it is the only one that includes shimmer options. Check out why I recommend this palette below:
- Blendable: While I normally recommend matte palettes for mature eyes, I included this palette even though it has a few shimmer shades because of how blendable it is.
- Expressive Colors: Even though neutral colors are generally recommended for mature eyes (I will talk more about that below) one thing that I love about this palette is how bright and colorful it is. If you love wearing fun and bold colors, then this is definitely the palette for you.
- Wet or Dry: This palette can be applied wet or dry, so if you want even bolder and darker shades, try wetting your makeup brush and then apply your shade of choice.
- Long-Lasting: This palette is another one that has long-lasting shades that will stay on all day without smearing or fading.
Pro tip: Instead of using just a shimmer shade, you can actually apply a little bit of the shimmer shadow in the eyelid, and then blend a matte shadow with the rest of your crease. This is a technique that will draw attention to your eyes in the areas we want, and minimize the look of wrinkled, older eyes.
What color eyeshadow should an older woman wear?
One common question is: what color eyeshadows look best on older women? However, this answer can depend on your skin tone, hair, and your personal preference.
The most common consensus is to wear neutral or youthful colors. This usually includes rose, warm browns, peach, and purple. Some brighter colors (like blues and greens) could look exaggerated on a mature face, which is why neutral colors are recommended.
But as always in makeup, these are only rules you can break if you feel good with trying other shadows than just neutrals!
One trick that you can do to make your eyes look youthful is to apply a lighter color to your lid, and then apply a darker color to your lash line, brow bone, and eye crease. This will draw attention to your eyes and give you an airbrushed effect.
But, at the end of the day, the most important factor in deciding what colors to wear is what you love. If you want to wear a bright blue shadow, go for it! You are going to look best wearing something that you feel good in.
If you want to try to get an instant facelift using only a couple of makeup concealer hacks check this easy tutorial on how to fake a facelift using Concealer, blush, and bronzer!
To recap, there are a few important things to note as your eyes start to mature.
Matte eyeshadow is going to be your best bet to leave your eyes looking airbrushed and youthful. While I listed a few different palettes, the best one for you will probably be found by whatever colors you fall in love with.
Some palettes feature neutral colors, like the Too Faced palette, while others feature bright and vibrant colors, like the Color Studio palette. Each of these palettes has unique qualities to them, so find the one that best suits your personal needs.
But the most important thing to remember is that even though your eyes change as you mature, and there are societal opinions about what kind of makeup you should wear, no one should have a greater say in your makeup than you.
Leave a comment below sharing with me what do you think!